If you are 16 years old or older, fill out an online application
- Dog Walker (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Cat Socializer (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Off-site Adoption Care (weekly PetSmart Alabaster and PetSmart 280)
- Web Dog Photographer (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Web Cat Photographer (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Shelter Partners Driver
- PetSmart 280 Driver (second and fourth Saturday of the month - am and pm shift available)
- Hollywood Feed Adoption Event - 1st Saturday of the month
- Special Events (various times and locations; off-site adoption care experience preferred)
GIVE ME FIVE:
If you are interested in fulfilling your 5 hours of community service for the Give Me Five program for school you may participate in a Copy Paper, wet cat food, leash supply drive. For every ream of paper, every case of wet cat food or new leash you bring us it is worth one hour. * These items must be dropped off at the shelter in Columbiana.
The Cat Litter and Purina Puppy Chow Supply drive was a big success and we are full at this time.
General Volunteer Requirements:
All potential volunteers should submit an online application (preferred method) or fill out a hardcopy of the volunteer application in the front office at SHS.
After submitting your volunteer application, you will be placed on our email distribution listing. We send out emails when we are in need of volunteers for our offsite adoption events.
At this point you may come into the shelter anytime Tuesday through Saturday and volunteer from noon - 5:30pm without making an appointment. Come and go as you please. You will have to sign into the vounteer sign in.
· All volunteers are required to purchase a volunteer t-shirt. Volunteer t-shirts must be worn at all times for proper identification. These shirts are available at the shelter and are also sent to offsite events. The cost is $10.
Types of Volunteers:
Adult Volunteers: Adult volunteers (16+) may volunteer at any of our locations and events.
Court Ordered Volunteers: (18+) will have to come into the shelter and fill out the court orderd volunteer application. We will also need a copy of your court paperwork which must state the offense. If approved, we can schedule you for volunteer work at the shelter from 8am - noon Monday through Saturday. You must volunteer for the entire four hours.
· Groups: Our ability to host volunteer groups is limited at this time. We do have special projects occasionally available. Please contact our volunteer coordinator directly with your group inquiry at Vcoordinator@shelbyhumane.org.
Main Shelter in Columbiana – 381 McDow Road, Columbiana, AL 35051. Volunteer hours vary depending upon the volunteer position, but are available Monday – Saturday.
PetSmart Hoover/Inverness – Highway 280 at Valleydale Road. Cat care and socialization opportunities are available 7 days a week during evening hours. Adoption Counselors (adults only) and dog care/socialization volunteer opportunities are available second and fourth Saturday of the month from 10am-5pm.
PetSmart Alabaster – Highway 31 at I-65. Cat care and socialization opportunities are available 7 days a week during evening hours. Saturday and Sundays evenings are now open for volunteering.
Hollywood Feed - Hwy 280. Adoption Counselors (adults only) and dog care/socialization volunteer opportunities are available the first Saturday of the month.
Special Events – locations, dates and times vary.
Alternative Community Service Ideas:
Community Service/Youth Volunteer Ideas: Many schools, churches and service groups require community service hours or community service projects for members. Some of these members are too young to volunteer with our shelter or the shelter isn’t large enough to accommodate the size of the group. We don’t want to miss out on this valuable support so we put together a list of other ways to get community service hours. Select a project from the list below and keep track of your community service hours. Upon completion of the project, either speak to a front desk staff person at our shelter in Columbiana or contact our volunteer coordinator at Vcoordinator@shelbyhumane.org to have any paperwork signed.
Project Ideas for kids under age 16 and girl scout troops
- Hold a yard sale, bake sale or lemonade sale to benefit the shelter. Have fun making signs and decorating for the event. Inform visitors that their contributions will support homeless animals.
- Print copies of our supply wish online and hold a supply drive in your community. This can be done several different ways. You can write a letter to your neighbors with the supply list attached and set a date that you will be going around collecting the supplies. Another option is to ask a local business or school to allow collection bins in their establishments. Arrange to pick up the items and deliver them to the shelter. Our biggest need is cat litter.
- Host a charity party and make Shelby Humane the honoree! Invite guests to a birthday party, dinner party or backyard cookout and ask them to bring an item from our wish list or make a donation to the shelter rather than bring a gift.
- Hold a newspaper collection drive. Set up bins and collect newspapers in your neighborhood to be used at the shelter in various ways.
- Write an essay about how shelter pets make a difference in the lives of humans. Include research about animal welfare topics such as the importance of adoption, spay/neutering, microchipping, or positive training methods.
- Make Cat or Dog toys for the shelter animals.
Please signup for our email newsletter!