If you are 16 years old or older, please read about our volunteer program and complete an online application today!
- Dog Walker (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Cat Socializer (main shelter) - Anytime from noon to 5:30pm (Tuesday thru Saturday) No need to schedule
- Offsite Adoption Care (weekly PetSmart Alabaster and PetSmart 280)
- Shelter Partners Driver
- PetSmart 280 Driver (second and fourth Saturday of the month - am and pm shift available)
- Hollywood Feed Adoption Event - 1st Saturday of the month
- Special Events (various times and locations; off-site adoption care experience preferred)
General Volunteer Requirements:
All potential volunteers should submit an online application (preferred method) or fill out a hardcopy of the volunteer application in the front office at SHS.
There is not a orientation class. You will need to sign a Waiver of Liability form before volunteering.
After submitting your volunteer application, you will be placed on our email distribution listing. We send out emails when we are in need of volunteers for our offsite adoption events.
Approved volunteers may come into the shelter anytime Tuesday through Saturday from noon - 5:30pm without making an appointment. Come and go as you please but you must sign into the volunteer log.
All volunteers are required to purchase a volunteer t-shirt for $10. Volunteer t-shirts must be worn at all times for proper identification. These shirts are available at the shelter and are also sent to offsite events.
Types of Volunteers:
Adult Volunteers: Adult volunteers (16+) may volunteer at any of our locations and events.
Court Ordered Volunteers: (18+) will have to come into the shelter and fill out the court orderd volunteer application. We will also need a copy of your court paperwork which must state the offense. If approved, we can schedule you for volunteer work at the shelter from 8am - noon Monday through Saturday. You must volunteer for the entire four hours.
· Groups: Our ability to host volunteer groups is limited at this time. We do have special projects occasionally available. Please contact our volunteer coordinator directly with your group inquiry at Vcoordinator@shelbyhumane.org.
Main Shelter in Columbiana – 381 McDow Road, Columbiana, AL 35051. Volunteer hours vary depending upon the volunteer position, but are available Monday – Saturday.
PetSmart Inverness – Highway 280 at Valleydale Road. Cat care and socialization opportunities are available 7 days a week during evening hours. Adoption Counselors (adults only) and dog care/socialization volunteer opportunities are available second and fourth Saturday of the month from 10am-5pm.
PetSmart Alabaster – Highway 31 at I-65. Cat care and socialization opportunities are available 7 days a week during evening hours. Saturday and Sundays evenings are now open for volunteering.
Hollywood Feed - Hwy 280. Adoption Counselors (adults only) and dog care/socialization volunteer opportunities are available the first Saturday of the month.
Special Events – locations, dates and times vary.
Alternative Community Service Ideas:
Community Service/Youth Volunteer Ideas: Many schools, churches and service groups require community service hours or community service projects for members. Some of these members are too young to volunteer with our shelter or the shelter isn’t large enough to accommodate the size of the group. We don’t want to miss out on this valuable support so we put together a list of other ways to get community service hours. Select a project from the list below and keep track of your community service hours. Upon completion of the project, either speak to a front desk staff person at our shelter in Columbiana or contact our volunteer coordinator at Vcoordinator@shelbyhumane.org to have any paperwork signed.
Project Ideas for kids under age 16 and girl scout troops
- Hold a yard sale, bake sale or lemonade sale to benefit the shelter. Have fun making signs and decorating for the event. Inform visitors that their contributions will support homeless animals.
- Hold a wish list supply drive in your community. This can be done several different ways. You can write a letter to your neighbors with the supply list attached and set a date that you will be going around collecting the supplies. Another option is to ask a local business or school to allow collection bins in their establishments. Arrange to pick up the items and deliver them to the shelter. Our biggest need is Purina Puppy Chow, Purina Kitten Chow and can dog/cat food.
- Host a charity party and make Shelby Humane the honoree! Invite guests to a birthday party, dinner party or backyard cookout and ask them to bring an item from our wish list or make a donation to the shelter rather than bring a gift.
- Hold a newspaper collection drive. Set up bins and collect newspapers in your neighborhood to be used at the shelter in various ways.
- Make cat or dog toys for the shelter animals.
GIVE ME FIVE:
GIVE ME FIVE:
If you are interested in fulfilling your 5 hours of community service for the Give Me Five program for school and are 16 years old or older, you can volunteer at the shelter Tuesday thru Saturday from noon - 5:30pm walking dogs and socializing with cats. If you are younger than 16, you may also volunteer at the shelter with your parent. If interested please fill out the volunteer application and then email VCoordinator@shelbyhumane.org.Thank you.
We don't want to miss out on this valuable support so we have put together a project list below. Upon completion of the project, either speak to a front desk staff person at our shelter in Columbiana or contact our volunteer coordinator at Vcoordinator@shelbyhumane.org.
Give Me Five Project Ideas
- Hold a yard sale, bake sale or lemonade sale to benefit the shelter. Have fun making signs and decorating for the event. Inform visitors that their contributions will support homeless animals. Purchase Purina Puppy Chow or Purina Kitten Chow. (For every bag of food donated we give 1 hour).
- Hold a wish list supply drive in your community. Write a letter to your neighbors with the supply list attached and set a date that you will be going around collecting the supplies. Ask a local business or school to allow collection bins in their establishments and arrange to pick up the items and deliver them to the shelter. OUR BIGGEST NEED IS Purina Puppy Chow and Purina Kitten Chow. (For every bag of food donated we give 1 hour).
If you are 16 years old or older, fill out an online application today!
PLEASE NOTE ONCE YOU FILL OUT THE APPLICATION ONLINE YOU WILL ONLY GET AN EMAIL WHEN WE ARE IN NEED OF OFFSITE VOLUNTEERS. YOU MAY START VOLUNTEERING ANYTIME TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY AT THE SHELTER FROM NOON TO 5:30PM. THANK YOU.
Please signup for our email newsletter!